BECOME AN ALLY
Learn how you can do your part to challenge racism wherever you find it with #racismstinks.
An ally is someone who is more than a non-racist person. An ally is a person who actively takes part in efforts working to demolish racism. An ally is not a spectator. An ally knows they’re not a savior but a supporter taking direction from the directly affected. An ally takes proactive steps to challenge racism in their sphere of influence and beyond.
In order to help better understand what the #racismstinks movement is about, we are providing some definitions we have adopted over the history of #racismstinks inception.
The issue that we seek to challenge is racism. We need allies for the cause to be successful.
Commonly known as institutional racism or systemic racism, racism is expressed in the practice of social and political institutions. It is reflected in disparities regarding wealth, income, criminal justice, employment, housing, health care, political power and education, among other factors.
An ally is someone who is more than a non-racist person, an ally is a person who takes part in activities actively working to demolish racism. An ally is not a spectator, an ally knows they’re not a savior but a supporter taking direction from the directly affected. An ally takes proactive steps to challenge racism in their sphere of influence and beyond.
AS AN ALLY, I WILL...
- Choose to join the #racismstinks movement that is led by a person of color.
- Recognize all people, including myself, are predisposed to racial biases or prejudices.
- Choose to address any and all racial biases and prejudices that I may have.
- Choose to stand up for racial justice in my everyday life (work, friends, family, etc.).
- Choose to give my time to show up at community meetings to listen and learn from people directly impacted by racism before acting as an ally.
- Talk to other white people about racism.
- Gain understanding of the connections between racism, economic issues, sexism, and other forms of injustice.
- Be accountable to people who are directly impacted by racism.
- Put my person on the line.
- Share the message of the #racismstinks movement with others.
REMEMBER: IT TAKES US ALL
Together, we will change the world.
Contact us today to find out how you can get involved with #racismstinks.